POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption : Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:32:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [BUG] POVRay excessive memory consumption
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 24 Jan 2004 17:42:33
Message: <4012f4d8@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>>> And promtly distribute binary versions without a timeout in them. No!
>>
>> ??!
>
> The consequence would be users coming years later and reporting bugs in
> versions they think are current.  This is exactly what happened in the
> days
> when source code was available.  And it was before the WWW was around...

(1) That is why I always get the newest release before reporting a bug.
(2) Every bug report needs to contain a version number. And if a user
    reports stoneage bugs, automatic reply would be "update your system"
    There is nothing else one could do against that. I do not see any
    difference, especially as under the current model, is is not only
    the version "they think is the current" but it _IS_ the current,
    or to express is easier:
(3) So what? The current code is year(s) old -- what makes the difference ;)

Wolfgang